This page is dedicated to the various articles Briana has written for “The Root” and their various pages, including “The Glow Up!”
- Can’t We All Just Get Along? Black Panther is Revisionist History: An article that delves into the movie’s villain, Erik Killmonger (MAJOR SPOILERS!!!)
The Glow Up
- #28DaysOfBlackCosplay: Cosplay is for Everyone (But It’s Nice To Have Options): “I searched all over the internet for a fat, black, queer female character I could bring to the next convention I went to. I’m sure you let out a sad little laugh as you read that sentence.”
- #28DaysOfBlackCosplay: Seeing Yourself in the Positive: “Cosplay is about having fun, but black cosplayers were busy dealing with people who thought they were good … for a black cosplayer (not meant to be racist, of course).”
- Don’t Play With Our Emotions: Black Panther and Queer Representation: “As someone who’s been squinting through heteronormative romance to try and find a whisper of queerness: Okoye and Ayo flirting with each other ain’t enough for me anymore.” Note: this piece was recommended by The New York Times!
- #28DaysOfBlackCosplay: Too Black for the White Geeks: That awkward moment when you realize you’re too black for your white nerd friends.
- #28DaysOfBlackCosplay: Learning to Love Myself by Playing Dress-Up: An article about how engaging in cosplay and becoming various characters helped Briana to love herself as a fat, black, queer woman.